In order to better understand this concept, I found a YouTube video that describes it quite well.
I believe adopting a growth mindset is not only beneficial for students but for teachers as well. This idea is discussed by Boyd in her article The Growth Mindset Approach: A Threshold Concept in Course Redesign. In this article she notes that teaching is not just about delivering information and that sometimes teachers are too overwhelmed with the pressure to meet curriculum expectations to think about meaningful learning. This is where Boyd calls on teachers to shift away from traditional learning and moving towards transformative learning. As a teacher, I believe having a growth mindset would change the dynamics of a classroom. Having a growth mindset, I would encourage my students to try new things, to make mistakes, and to persevere through challenges that they face inside and outside of the classroom.
The more I research the topic of a growth mindset, the more I love it. I hope this blog entry has taught you something new and shown you a new approach to learning and to teaching. As teacher candidates I think it is important for us to think about how we would like our students to approach learning and what our role is in this process. For me, I want my classroom to be a safe and encouraging place where my students explore new territories and aren't afraid to make mistakes.
For those of you who are interested in learning more about growth mindsets I have included a link to one of Carol Dweck's lectures on developing a growth mindset.
References
Mindsets: How to Motivate Students (and
Yourself). (2013). Educational Horizons,
91(2), 16-21
Mindset image retrieved from: http://carriekepple.com/2015/04/24/growth-mindset-vs-fixed-mindset-which-do-you-have/

I really enjoyed reading about the difference between a growth mindset and fix mindset. I gained a better understanding from reading through your blog and have a better grasp on the concept. I really found the video you embedded into your blog very beneficial to my learning. I thought it was really interesting how it connected the growth mindset to Steve Jobs who is considered to be a modern day icon. He was such an innovative person that I think pushes us to see the potential in every aspect of our life.
ReplyDeleteI’m curious to hear your thoughts on strategies that we as future teachers can use in out classrooms with children who have previous teachers allow them to develop a fixed mindset. Would it be a whole classroom strategy or just on an individual basis. How would we deal with fixed mindsets of students when their parents are encouraging it? Is there a way to have the parents understand and change their attitudes? I wonder if technology would help children’s growth mindset in areas that they are prone to develop fixed mindsets.
I liked how you stated that you would include teaching your students about growth mindsets in the classroom. I would have liked to read more in-depth about how this would look like in your classroom. Especially in the subjects that are common for children to grow fixed mindsets. Overall, I appreciated your thought about how important it is for children to approach learning with self-confidence.
Meghan,
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your opinion on growth mindset. I thought your blog and the embedded videos really helped me gain a further understanding of what growth mindset looks like in the classroom. As a future teacher, I hope to take these ideas and embed them in my classroom so that I am able to create an environment where children enjoy learning and feel comfortable approaching a new idea. I hope through growth mindset that my future students will understand the idea of assimilating and accommodating new ideas presented to them so that they are able to build on previously learned information or preconceived notions they may already have on a subject.
What are some fun ways you think growth mindset could be brought into the classroom? How do you think we can make students more comfortable challenging their preconceived ideas? I think that it can sometimes make students uncomfortable to realise that their original ideas may not have been the correct ones, or to understand that their may be more than one right answers to a question. I think that it is important for teachers to remind students that it is ok to make mistakes and that mistakes are the best way for us to learn. I also think that teachers could encourage growth mindset by always allowing time for students to question what they are learning.
I look forward to reading your next blog!
Cynthia
Great blog Meghan! I feel as if I have a greater understanding of fixed and growth mindsets because of the information you have provided! The video was also a helpful summary.
ReplyDeleteI appreciate your push for the growth mindset but I'd love to hear your ideas on how you would implement that into an education system that has the "fixed mindset" so deeply ingrained within it? How would you gain support of parents and other educators to support growth mindset? Furthermore, do you believe it is important to teach growth mindset to other educators or do you think it is their responsibility to learn on their own? Growth mindset is an essential part for curriculum development but I was just curious of your opinion on these matters.
I love that you want to include growth mindset into your own classroom, you're going to be a wonderful teacher! I would love to hear more in your next blog about your personal experiences in the classroom and your future ideas for the education system! I'm sure you have many great ideas that will connect well with the topics we discuss in class. Looking forward to your next blog!
Vanessa